Thursday, February 15, 2007

Twice As Nice...

I am really trying to use all packaging at least twice. I even have it written on my grocery list because I usually shop with my 2 wee ones in tow, and can be too easily distracted into buying something that is packaged in something that is impossible to use again. So, I try to buy everything in the largest size I can find, because big containers are easier to reuse than smaller ones. I don't really buy anything that comes in a spray bottle anymore, but I have redesignated some old ones as water sprayers for the kids (set on "stream" they can really shoot), one for a spray bottle for the ironing that I don't do... a couple for my homemade aphid and spider mite remedies for the garden, one for the diluted teatree oil spray that I use in my bathroom, etc. Buckets are reused in the sandbox, used as egg-gatherers, etc. Cans are washed and punched into candle holders, or wrapped with old wrapping paper or wallpaper and used to hold pens and craft supplies, jars are reused to hold chickenstock in my freezer, or bits of string or wire on the shelf... Envelopes get opened and I use the blank sides for grocery lists and notes and letters. I even made a journal out of old envelopes and recycled papers. It was fun to use! Wire that holds toys in packages (they have a high escape factor, I hear) are all bundled and saved and make great hangers for putting up LED Christmas lights, hang swags up at for winter decorating, etc. Then when the glass breaks I recycle it, or when the plastic breaks I recycle it, or when the paper is falling apart, it goes into recycling...
You get the drift...
Here's a fun idea for bottlecaps (yes, that cute curtain is made from bottlecaps) -- we have everyone we know saving caps for us so we can make something like this...
How do you reuse everyday household items? Like yogurt containers? Vinegar containers (this is a big one for me because I use so much vinegar in my cleaning)? And bottlecaps? They make great containers to hold glue, and as game pieces on checkerboards or the like...
More great reuse ideas coming soon.
Try keeping this goal in mind when you're buying things -- can you use the packaging again? Or next time you go to put something into the recycle bin, or the garbage, can you think of ANYthing you could reuse it for? Outside? In the garage? In the garden? In the playroom? Craftroom? Could you paint it to make it more appealing? Decoupage it? Aren't those cute pails? (Click to see how they're done.) I've seen that same idea on old suitcases too (the thrift store will never look the same when you consider the possibilities...) Ha! Please share your ideas with us...

No comments: